On Thu, Mar 14, 2019 at 1:47 AM Amar Tumballi Suryanarayan <
atumb...@redhat.com> wrote:

> I tried this recently, and the issue of rpcgen is real, and is not
> straight-forward is what I felt. Would like to pick this up after
> glusterfs-6.0 release.

rpcgen is in its own separate package.  `apk update && apk add rpcgen`
(Alpine 3.9.2)

(Not unlike Fedora28+ and RHEL8 where rpcgen has been removed from glibc. I
expect other Linux distributions to eventually follow suit and remove
rpcgen from their glibc.)

But alpine ships rpcgen-2.3.2 (versus Fedora's 1.4.x and rhel8's 1.3.1) and
it doesn't like the "hyper" data type used in glusterfs4-xdr.x (and
presumably in changelog-xdr.x but I didn't get that far.)

According to the Fedora rpm .spec Source:, Fedora's rpcgen comes from
https://github.com/thkukuk/rpcsvc-proto/

`apk info rpcgen` says it comes from http://linux-nfs.org, I guess from
http://git.linux-nfs.org/?p=steved/nfs-utils.git;a=tree;f=tools/rpcgen;h=64ebfa4a7ddd0cf1b4b363f27aba426d571c422e;hb=HEAD

Both appear to be originally derived from BSD's rpcgen. It'd be nice if the
Linux community could settle on a single version of rpcgen.

Maybe someone out in the community that has a vested interest in Alpine
Linux would like to dig into it further!

--

Kaleb