On Mon, 2018-04-02 at 20:07 +0200, Andreas Davour wrote:
> On Mon, 2 Apr 2018, Nithya Balachandran wrote:
>
> > On 2 April 2018 at 14:48, Andreas Davour <a...@update.uu.se> wrote:
> >
> > > Hi
> > >
> > > I've found something that works so weird I'm certain I have
> > > missed how
> > > gluster is supposed to be used, but I can not figure out how.
> > > This is my
> > > scenario.
> > >
> > > I have a volume, created from 16 nodes, each with a brick of the
> > > same
> > > size. The total of that volume thus is in the Terabyte scale.
> > > It's a
> > > distributed volume with a replica count of 2.
> > >
> > > The filesystem when mounted on the clients is not even close to
> > > getting
> > > full, as displayed by 'df'.
> > >
> > > But, when one of my users try to copy a file from another network
> > > storage
> > > to the gluster volume, he gets a 'filesystem full' error. What
> > > happened? I
> > > looked at the bricks and figured out that one big file had ended
> > > up on a
> > > brick that was half full or so, and the big file did not fit in
> > > the space
> > > that was left on that brick.
> > >

> > Hi,
> >
> > This is working as expected. As files are not split up (unless you
> > are
> > using shards) the size of the file is restricted by the size of the
> > individual bricks.
>
> Thanks a lot for that definitive answer. Is there a way to manage
> this?
> Can you shard just those files, making them replicated in the
> process?

I manage this by using thin pool, thin lvm and add new drives to the
lvm across all gluster nodes and expand the user space. My thinking on
this is a RAID 10 with the RAID 0 in the lvm and the RAID1 handled by
gluster replica 2+   :-)
> I just can't have users see 15TB free and fail copying a 15GB file.
> They
> will show me the bill they paid for those "disks" and flay me.
>
> -andreas
>
> --
> "economics is a pseudoscience; the astrology of our time"
> Kim Stanley Robinson
James P. Kinney III

own tail. It won't fatten the dog.
- Speech 11/23/1900 Mark Twain