I'm relatively new to the community but I would vote for having a point of presence on libera.chat, or OFTC as some other F/OSS projects are moving there as an alternative. I use IRC daily for supporting my own projects as well as related projects such as GlusterFS. Personally I hadn't heard of Matrix until the whole Freenode fiasco happened, so I would imagine others may be in the same boat. Anyway, just my $0.02 :)

Cheers,
Jordan Erickson