On Fri 2016-12-02 18:52:04 -0500, Jeffrey Stedfast wrote:
> On 12/2/2016 3:31 PM, Daniel Kahn Gillmor wrote:
>> (and hm, actually, maybe that means we should be zeroing the RAM before
>> releasing the stored session key; i can make that change if that sounds
>> good to you)
>
> Yes, please :)

thanks for scrubbing the ram already :)

>> the other advantage for keeping this command is that it makes it clearer
>> in the API which cryptocontexts are capable of this kind of operation.
>> Would it be better to make this function part of the GMimeCryptoContext
>> API instead of the GMimeGpgContext, though?
>
> If the plan is to also add it to the S/MIME context, then yes.

I have no idea whether it makes sense to add it to the S/MIME context --
it might, but i haven't tried.  i don't think S/MIME can do decryption
anyway yet, can it?

>> What API would you prefer for a "try-this-session-key" approach?  I see
>> two mechanisms:
>>
>> (a) give the session key to the context for any number of subsequent
>>      decryptions until it is cleared or re-set:
>>
>>          g_mime_gpg_context_set_session_key_for_decryption()
>>          g_mime_gpg_context_clear_session_key_for_decryption()
>>
>>      This is a bit awkward, though: what should happen if the wrong
>>      session key is given; should it fall back to trying to use the
>>      available public keys?  if so, then we'd need to do some fancy
>>      footwork, because gpg simply fails to decrypt if you give it the
>>      wrong session key.
>>

>> (b) have some variation on g_mime_multipart_encrypted_decrypt() or
>>      g_mime_crypto_context_decrypt(), which has an additional parameter
>>      of "session_key".
>
> (b) makes the most sense.
>
> Perhaps g_mime_crypto_context_decrypt_session?

and a g_mime_multipart_encrypted_decrypt_session() as well?

I can work on this patch if it's something that you'd like.

      --dkg