Most messages with subjects and From: headers using characters outside the
ASCII set now use the RFC-2047 encoding to keep the actual bytes in the message
"7-bit safe". But there are still a significant number of messages coming in
which use national encoding: big5 from China, Taiwan, and Singapore; EUC-JIS
and shift-JIS from Japan; cp1255 from Israel; etc.
What is the best way to convert these strings into UTF-8?
Since these contain 8-bit characters, I tried using g_mime_utils_decode_8bit
with a NULL encoding, assuming it would determine the best one to use. But in
my test, this didn't work at all. (My test consisted of:
- starting with one UTF-8 string for each of 4 encodings, the equivalent of   -
"Happy New Year" in Chinese (big5  - "Good Morning" for shift-JIS  - "Good
Evening" for EUC-JIS  - "Peace unto you" for cp1255- I converted the UTF-8 to a
byte sequence using the corresponding encoding.- I then fed the four resulting
byte sequences to g_mime_utils_decode_8bit and wrote out the results
I confirmed that the input to g_mime_utils_decode_8bit were correctly encoded
by decoding them with the proper decoding.
So:
1. is g_mime_utils_decode_8bit the right tool for the job? I assume it works
properly when one actually knows the encoding, but when one doesn't?
2. if so, how should I be using it, because:        output_ptr =
g_mime_utils_decode_8bit(NULL, input_ptr, input_length);   isn't doing it.
3. if it isn't, what is the right way?
TIA.