On Thu, Nov 4, 2010 at 1:08 AM, Roland Schulz <[email protected]> wrote: > BTW: Is it somehow possible to print the kernel error messages that are > shown by dmesg to the user from within GROMACS? That would help the user to > directly see the reason of the error. Thus I'm looking for a function > similar to strerror but which returns the kernel message not just the > message of the error code (which in this case was just "Input/Output > errror".
Hi Roland! In general, it's not possible to make a connection between a message logged by the Linux kernel (which is then shown by dmesg or the system logging) and a particular call to an I/O function. More specifically, dmesg just dumps the kernel log buffer which, to my knowledge, doesn't contain time information, so the last message in the buffer and the last I/O operation cannot be correlated this way; the system logging (syslogd and similar) attaches time information, but it's usually only readable by root for security reasons - and even if it would be readable by the GROMACS user, there is no way to uniquely associate an entry in syslog with a particular I/O operation on a multiuser/multitasking OS. It might be doable using a tracing infrastructure in the kernel... but that's no longer generic. Cheers, Bogdan -- gmx-users mailing list [email protected] http://lists.gromacs.org/mailman/listinfo/gmx-users Please search the archive at http://www.gromacs.org/Support/Mailing_Lists/Search before posting! Please don't post (un)subscribe requests to the list. Use the www interface or send it to [email protected]. Can't post? Read http://www.gromacs.org/Support/Mailing_Lists

