Adam Herbst wrote:
Dear GROMACS users,
I successfully installed GROMACS 4.5.1 several months ago on a Mac Pro with 12 CPUs, and the "mdrun" command (not "mpirun mdrun_mpi") allows parallel simulations--it automatically uses multiple processors, while the number of processors can be manually specified as N with the flag "mdrun -nt N". I understand that this is a feature of GROMACS 4 and later. Now I am making minor changes to the mdrun source code, and I want to recompile such that the parallel version of mdrun is updated with my changes. But when I run:

  make mdrun (or just make)
  make install-mdrun (or just make install)

from the top-level source directory, the only executables that are updated are the ones with the _mpi suffix, such as mdrun_mpi. The version of mdrun in src/kernel/ is updated, but this one has no -nt flag and cannot seem to run on multiple processors. And when I run


Please post your actual configuration command. Did you properly --enable-mpi and --disable-threads? What MPI library are you using? Do other processes executed via mpirun work as expected?

  mpirun -np N mdrun_mpi [options],

the same simulation is started separately on each processor, leading to a crash. If I use

  mpirun -np 1 -cpus-per-proc N mdrun_mpi [options],

I get an error message that this is not supported on my computer ("An attempt to set processor affinity has failed").

I can't configure the input .tpr file for parallel because grompp doesn't have the -np flag in GROMACS 4.


There is no need to do this anymore. mdrun deals with all aspects of parallelization. A .tpr file can then be run on as many processors as you like.

-Justin

How can I update the parallel-capable "mdrun" executable with my changes?
Thanks in advance,

Adam


--
========================================

Justin A. Lemkul
Ph.D. Candidate
ICTAS Doctoral Scholar
MILES-IGERT Trainee
Department of Biochemistry
Virginia Tech
Blacksburg, VA
jalemkul[at]vt.edu | (540) 231-9080
http://www.bevanlab.biochem.vt.edu/Pages/Personal/justin

========================================
--
gmx-users mailing list    [email protected]
http://lists.gromacs.org/mailman/listinfo/gmx-users
Please search the archive at 
http://www.gromacs.org/Support/Mailing_Lists/Search before posting!
Please don't post (un)subscribe requests to the list. Use the www interface or send it to [email protected].
Can't post? Read http://www.gromacs.org/Support/Mailing_Lists

Reply via email to