On 8/8/12 6:35 AM, Asaf Farhi wrote:
Dear Justin

Thank you very much for the reply.
It's written in the manual:

5.7.4 Topologies for free energy calculations
Free energy differences between two systems, A and B, can be calculated as
described in sec. 3.12.
Systems A and B are described by topologies consisting of the same number of
molecules with
the same number of atoms.

Perhaps you need to state for us more clearly what you're trying to do. If you want to transform theophylline into methylxanthine, then you have some work to do in constructing dummy atoms that are transformed into real atoms over the course of the transformation. There are examples in the list archive in terms of transforming one amino acid into another so I would suggest you search if this is what you're after.

If you aim to simply calculate independent hydration energies (in two separate systems), I don't see what the problem is. Simple decoupling turns interaction atoms into the same number of non-interacting sites or vice versa.

Justin A. Lemkul, Ph.D.
Research Scientist