The three steps (EM, NVT and NPT) are to equilibrate the system. How much time these steps need depends on the system. But i would assume a ouple of nanosecounds are sufficient for most systems. You could look into the literature, how long other people equilibrate systems which are similar to ours. If the system is equilibrated, you an start to perform the pulling simulation to obtain the individual structure for the later umbrella sampling.

Greetings
Thomas