On 9/10/13 10:56 PM, Dwey Kauffman wrote:
Hi Dallas and Justin,

   Thanks for the reply. Yes, I did plot pressure changes over time by
g_energy and I have been aware of the note  at
http://www.gromacs.org/Documentation/Terminology/Pressure

I am concerned about the average pressure is because our experiment shows
that our target membrane protein is a hexamer and our observation is that
variation of system pressure seems causing hexamer or dimer dissociation.
Also, it is quite sensitive to pressure fluctuation. Such a fluctuation of
pressure certainly brings my attention in this specific case, because life
does not exist at large variations of system pressure.

True, but thermostats allow temperatures to oscillate on the order of a few K, and that doesn't happen on the macroscopic level either. Hence the small disconnect between a system that has thousands of atoms and one that has millions or trillions. Pressure fluctuations decrease on the order of sqrt(N), so the system size itself is a determining factor for the pressure fluctuations. As previous discussions have rightly concluded, pressure is a somewhat ill-defined quantity in molecular systems like these.

If not because of multimer dissociation likely caused by pressure
fluctuation, I agree with both of you.

I also run longer simulations like 20 ns and 30 ns

### 20 ns

Energy                      Average   Err.Est.       RMSD  Tot-Drift
Pressure                   0.886396       0.84    162.655    1.38476  (bar)

## 30 ns

Energy                      Average   Err.Est.       RMSD  Tot-Drift
Pressure                    1.69086       0.58    162.879    3.35668  (bar)

Running longer simulations seems to me that the improvement of system
pressure is not helpful too much.

And yet neither is statistically indistinguishable from the value of 1, given that the standard deviations are ~163 bar.

If I need to modify mdp file, what it would be ?

You could try altering tau_p, but I doubt there is any value in doing so.

-Justin

Many thanks,

Dwey

My mdp file for NPT  is used in the simulation like

define          = -DPOSRES

integrator      = md
nsteps          = 500000
dt                  = 0.002