Karl Goetz wrote:
hi all,
I've been thinking about how to handle packages we create for us, and
what to do with packages we derive from debian.

I'm leaning towards a structure like:

packages-parkes
  mrconfig (incase we need one)
  galaxia-theme/debian
(snip)
clean-upstream  get-debian-source  watch

clean-upstream makes the changes needed for our freedom requirements,
get-debian-source downloads the source and runs the clean script, and
the watch file (standard format as used by debian) specifies where to
get the source.

Looks workable to me.

Note that a script to clean its not necesary (but still desirable?),
but we have to make sure whatever we are repacking is properly free
before we ship it on :)

I can think of 4 main scenarios I encountered with Builder:

1) Removing/replacing non-free references (e.g. XChat, Liferea).
2) Removing (straightforward) non-free files (e.g. psutils).
3) Removing non-free files in an archive (e.g. openoffice.org).
4) Packages we made ourselves (e.g. yeeloong-base).

As I understand it, (4) wouldn't fit in to this package/debian structure, but fitting it in as a complete package shouldn't be a problem. (1) Can be solved in the debian/patches way. (2) and (3) need scripting, but should be as easy or easier than in Builder (hoping that I can avoid going through another openoffice.org experience).

I say go for it.