On Tue, 05 May 2009 07:24:23 +0100 Paul O'Malley - gnu's not unix - <[email protected]> wrote:
> Hi All, I took the chance to look back at my IRC logs (knew I keep them for a reason), and found a line which kind of amuses me now. (The 'your' is ompaul). <Kamping_Kaiser> your working on the 'ubuntu without non-free bits' arnt you? Wonder what would have happened to me if I'd left it at that and not investigated (Not really, I know what would have happened - I'd have got a paid job :p) > > When we first started this thing in 5th May 2006 (three years ago) we > thought we would only get enough attention to justify a couple of > months effort and it would die from a lack of interest. It is with a > great deal of pleasure I can say this did not happen. It hasn't happened, and I like to think we have a stable enough community that we should be able to keep building. > > Perhaps we are right when we think gNewSense has caused more people to > focus on delivering Free as in Freedom software. I like to think you'd be right on that. > Certainly we caused some changes, SGI's GLX being the most prominent, > we are very grateful to all involved be it my initial conversation > with Peter Brown or the people in SGI, Red Hat, IBM , Xorg and others > (you know who you are). Definitely a big one. This had been open over 4 years in upstream BTSs when the FSF announced the code had been freed. > Along came mipssel and the longsoon and some people got very vocal and > others got very involved. The shortest path to getting this to work > was to fork the Debian mipssel. And although not announced yet, there are ppc images being tested, using the same upstream as mipsel. > So where to now? > > Brian and I had a chat about this. We feel that we have brought this > project as far as we can. We would like others to take the reigns. > The primary concern to the person or people who want to take over is > Software Freedom, pure and simple. Guess I'll be fixing my SVN account then... :) > > We have found the FSF staff very supportive since they got behind this > project and sponsored space and bandwidth for the project. A big > thanks to them all past and present. Definitely. And for the quick help when servers/services need attention. > Regards, > > Paul Thanks for your work on gNewSense, and giving "us all" a distribution to come to. kk > -- Karl Goetz, (Kamping_Kaiser / VK5FOSS) Debian user / gNewSense contributor http://www.kgoetz.id.au No, I won't join your social networking group
signature.asc
Description: PGP signature
_______________________________________________ gNewSense-users mailing list [email protected] http://lists.nongnu.org/mailman/listinfo/gnewsense-users
