Mikel L. Forcada wrote: > Hi, it's me again. > > I have a Lemote Yeelong running gNewSense. Everything is up to date. I > added the wicd repository to /etc/apt/sources.list as shown in > http://wiki.gnewsense.org/Projects/GNewSenseToMIPS and installed wicd to > subsitute network-manager. > > I can only get a good Wi-fi connection if I am very close to the access > point. When I move away, perhaps 5 m away, even if I get a good signal, > I get "No route to host" when I ping. With other wireless devices I can > connect perfectly from anywhere in the house. > > Has anyone experienced this problem? Is there a workaround?
You can try getting a: Alfa Network 802.11g High Power Wireless USB Adapter Model AWUS036H (I think about $40 now) Initial testing shows it performs much better than the internal RTL8187b (it is also RTL8187 based, but higher power and with a better antenna), and also better than other no-binary-blobs external devices such as other RTL8187-based devices and the Linksys RAlink RA2500USB device. This is with the out-of-linux-tree RTL8197b driver Lemote recommends using in preference to the in-linux-tree driver (note that with this driver, the module is "r8187", not "rtl8187"). You'll need to comment 2 lines in the source to avoid a lot of messages spewing to the console about high power Rx mode being in effect (just comment out the printk, which spans 2 lines); I'll be getting this information up on the RmsLinuxForYou or another page on the config.fsf.org wiki sometime soon. -- Daniel JB Clark | Sys Admin, Free Software Foundation pobox.com/~dclark | http://www.fsf.org/about/staff#danny
signature.asc
Description: OpenPGP digital signature
_______________________________________________ gNewSense-users mailing list [email protected] http://lists.nongnu.org/mailman/listinfo/gnewsense-users
