[EMAIL PROTECTED] said:

>>>  <stallman rant mode=on>

FWIW, I agree with you, Paul. But, I'd aleo like to gently
remind you that you prolly can get your hands on the sources
and edit them appropriately :-).

Depending on what distro you have, you might want to check
its history to see what version of util-linux stuff you have
installed. Yes, I know Paul's running Debian, but please
bear with me - I am NOT trying to start another Distribution
debate, merely point out something for those who might not
be aware of it. Red Hat had/has a marvelous habit of splitting
the components of util-linux into two or more different RPMs.
My SuSE 7.3 system runs util-linux-2.11i-10 and my SuSE 8.0
system runs util-linux-2.11n-75. There have been no updates
to either package, at least on SuSE's support web page, so
either that's the latest, or anything later than what was
shipped with each release is good enough that there have been
no earth-shattering security or functional problems to warrant
an update. Salving Stallman's ego hardly qualifies, IMNSHO.

On both systems:

# uname --version
uname (GNU sh-utils) 2.0
Written by David MacKenzie.

This is free software; see the source for copying conditions.  There is
NO
PURPOSE.

HTH,

Bayard