At some point hitherto, mike ledoux hath spake thusly:
> > I disagree.  The solution is to provide a package specific to each
> > distribution.  Of course, your system admin has to pay attention...
> > It would need to be named differently on each release so that it could
> > not be inadvertently upgraded...
>
> I disagree.  The solution is to fix uname to output the information it
> claims to provide with the -s and -r switches:  the operating system name
> and release.  On a Red Hat 7.3 system, that should be "Red Hat Linux"
> and "7.3", *not* "Linux" and "2.4.18-5smp".

I disagree.  :)  The OS is the kernel.  This isn't really any
different from the commercial world -- when the kernel is updated,
often the output of uname -r and uname -v changes.  It's a less
obvious thing, because we're accustomed to the name of the kernel
being the same as the overall product, and rarely care what the
release and version are.  In general in the commercial world, they
don't care often enough for it to matter.  And we don't have 30
different vendors shipping systems based on the Solaris kernel...

> > Most distributions already do provide such a package.  Of course, the
> > sysadmin can always remove it...  =8^)
>
> The distribution might provide such a package, but you need to already
> know which distribution you're running on to know where to look for it,
> since it isn't the same from one distro to another.

This is irrelevant.  My point was that the distributions can customize
the new fields of the uname command based on what
distribution-specific package was installed.  This at least will
provide a uniform interface for determining what the base installed
distribution is.  The alternative is to hard-code the value, and as
has already been established, it would be very easy to install the
wrong sh-utils package for your distribution.

It's true that the distribution-specific package *could* also be
wrong, but there's never any reason for it to be updated, except for
the case of upgrading the entire distribution.

It's unfortunate that the term operating system has come to be used to
mean "the operating system, and all the application software our
vendor has decided to ship with it" out of laziness.  This has caused
a number of problems.  This is one of them.  Another is Microsoft
saying that there's no limit to the software that they can/should be
able to make part of the operating system.  Another is rms and
GNU/Linux.

We should prefer a different term to refer to the software distributed
with an operating system.  Maybe something like "operating
environment" (actually I think I've seen this used before).  But I
suppose it doesn't matter, since it's unlikely to catch on amongst the
masses who are asses, as we have already seen with attempts to
distinguish things like kilobytes from 1000 bytes, or "hacker" from
"cracker," or any number of other things.

- --
Derek Martin               [EMAIL PROTECTED]
I prefer mail encrypted with PGP/GPG!
GnuPG Key ID: 0x81CFE75D
Retrieve my public key at http://pgp.mit.edu
Learn more about it at http://www.gnupg.org