OK great -

Both Tom and Ben Boulanger nominated 'swatch', which goes to
show that you can teach an old dog like me new tricks.

The capability of triggering a sound event is fairly routine
nowadays, both under Linux as well as under certain MS products.
Back when I started with DEC in '78, I was told that a certain
large, well-known customer had a bunch of PDP-11/70's for
some critical functions. The PDP-11 architecture had a very
nice (IMNSHO) interrupt architecture, so that various events
could be properly dispatched to their handler routines. There
was even one for when the interrupt stacks themselves were
corrupted. (Anyone remember the yellow-zone/red-zone stuff?).
Well, this customer, well-known for its technology and its
geek humor, set up their systems so that a trap to the
system crash vector would close a relay contact and set off
an audible alarm. In their case, it was a tape recording of
a human death scream. Rather unnerving for service personnel
on their first service calls to this particular facility,
but at least everyone knew when the system died.

Thanks,

Bayard