On Friday, December 20, 2002, at 01:19 PM, Rodent of Unusual Size wrote:

mozilla seems cool as a browser, but does it do mail?  how about
other alternatives?
I've been using Mozilla as a browser since 1.0, and have had nothing but positive experiences with it (except for some reason on monster.com, where I see some strange rendering errors, but that is the *only* site where I see them). But just last week, on Wednesday, I decided to try Mozilla mail. I was using Outlook at work (the standard MUA where I work), and every time I sent a post to gnhlug-discuss, I had to manually hit CR at the end of each line or face the wrath of the line-wrap nazis. I was nervous that I wouldn't be able to import my old mail, that it wouldn't be compatible with the Exchains servers my company uses, and a host of other worries.

Let me just say that it is a great mail client. No problems with importing old mail (though it took over an hour to fetch all my old mail). No problems with the Exchains servers (though I'm on POP3 now so I have to make my own backups of my mail). No complicated seven-step wizard to set up a rule for email filtering, and even then the filters didn't work half the time. CNET says Mozilla is actually a better mail client performance-wise, but doesn't offer the calendaring compatibility with Exchains. I don't use the calendaring anyway.

Basically, I think it's great.

Erik

--
Erik Price (zombies roam)