It seems that I recall several times in the past
that I've stumbled across packages that allow you to
rig your system such that various file operations
are relayed to code in userland rather than (or in
addition to) being handled by the kernel.  It seems
that I recall one that (with minimal effort) provided
the ability to create a device node that could be
"owned" by an arbitrary userland process and I
may have also seen some trick that allowed you to
intercept arbitrary file ops on arbitrary files.

Assuming that I'm not just suffering some sort of
False Memory Syndrome here, can somebody remind me
where I might have seen these?

BTW, a named pipe might at first seem to be a solution
until you remember that "real" files aren't FIFO...