I wrote:
>I just noticed that I was able to execute
>programs in the current directory without
>prefixing their names with ./ and without
>having . in my $PATH.  After saying WTF?
>a number of times I finally figured out that
>it's related to my PATH being defined with
>a leading colon, sorta like this:
>
>   export PATH=:/bin:/usr/bin:/usr:local/bin
                                   ^
                                   ^
I intended that to be a slash, not a colon...

>...so those of you who (for security reasons) are
>careful to exclude "." from your $PATH need also
>be careful about leading colons, apparently...

Further investigation indicates that ANY "empty"
component of your $PATH definition causes this
behavior, not just an "empty" first component,
so this would cause it, too:

   export PATH=/bin:/usr/bin::/usr/local/bin

I think this qualifies as a reportable bug...

FYI, my $BASH_VERSION is:

   2.05b.0(1)-release