Kevin D. Clark wrote:

My advice:  convert your numbers to binary for the exam, and know that
in the Real World after school, people tend to let the computer do the
work for them.  But it *is* important for you to have this skill.

Thanks Kevin, and to everyone else who gave me suggestions. I have learned some good tips, and also that what I really needed to learn was not shortcuts for using bitwise operators, but rather "shortcuts" (techniques, really) for converting between decimals, hex, and octal to binary and back. Which I feel a lot more comfortable with doing now.

Erik