On Sat, 2003-03-29 at 12:38, Bruce Dawson wrote:
> Quoting Ben Boulanger's email of Sat, 29 Mar 2003 09:23:55 -0500 (EST):
>
> > If AOL says 'no
> > direct mail from this IP Space' because there's a known issue with it, I
> > think they're doing the right thing.  To ignore the problem only makes it
> > worse.
>
> I believe this has more to do the business war between AOL and Comcast.
> And the current war against spam is providing an opportunity for the big
> guys to be naughty. (There will always be a few naughty "little guys").
>
> Last time I checked, Comcast's "business" rate is more than twice their
> residential rate yet still suffers from the same "no server" restrictions
> - they force you to use their SMTP and web servers, and still won't
> provide static IP addresses. So that's not a viable option for small
> organizations that want to preserve their network identity.

This is probably true. Most likely, there are underlying motives that
are far less altruistic. However, their TOS *DOES* state that no servers
are allowed. So, if someone is running a server in violation of their
ISP's TOS, and someone like AOL wants to block it, then it is well
withing their right. If you want to run servers, then switch to a
service that allows it. Someone who is running servers on their
connection will most likely use more bandwidth, and on a shared
connection like cable, it will (in theory) have an impact on other
users.

> I'm getting sick and tired of the big guys feeding off me to fund their
> efforts to control what I can do. I just want to live my life the way I
> want to - not the way they want me to!

While I agree with this whole-heartedly, the only way to change it is
with money. Take your business elsewhere, ad when Comcast, or whom ever
wants to know why, tell them exactly why. I dumped MediaOne (might have
been AT&T at the time) a few years back because their service didn't
meet my needs, and I told them so. I switched to a DSL provider that
offered the services that I wanted,like allowing me to run servers on my
own, static IP addresses, etc. The only way that the big companies will
learn is when their subscribers start leaving en masse to go to a
smaller provider because they are better.

C-Ya,
Kenny