On Mon, Mar 31, 2003 at 12:37:49AM -0600, Thomas Charron <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Oh my GOD man.  They rejected your SMTP email.  Shesh.  Since the protocol has
> no built in method of authentication, this is the best they can do.  You can
> either eat spam, or do something like this.  Period.

Well, there is SMTP AUTH.  However, SMTP AUTH only authenicates a user
to a local SMTP server.  It is not the global PGP authentication
suggested in another email.  AOL's moves makes me wonder if they would
like a model where either computer is authenicated to a "trusted" SMTP
server, and only trusted SMTP servers can exchange mail.  That's close
to what they are doing -- they don't "trust" your residentially-based
dynamic-IP-addressed SMTP server (or client, if you will), but they are
willing to take mail from Comcast's server.

Anyway, just a quick comment.  I'm not taking sides in this one. :-)
Actually, I'm finding the debate quite interesting.

--
Bob Bell <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>