From: "Ben Boulanger" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: "Hewitt Tech" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Cc: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Tuesday, April 01, 2003 9:20 AM
Subject: Re: Dumb networking question...

On Mon, 31 Mar 2003, Hewitt Tech wrote:
> My question is "Do I have the gateway addresses set correctly. The only
> thing connecting the two hubs is the CAT5 cable. My assumption is that
> setting the first device's gateway address to the device 2's static WAN
> address and vice-versa should allow the two hubs to communicate properly.

You're absolutely correct.  Known hosts on the local network will route
correctly (and traffic passed to it from the other "network" will route
correctly).  It shouldn't create a routing loop unless you try to get to
an address that's not known on either network.. in which case, the TTL of
the packet will eventually expire.  For testing, this is fine..

You will need to specify the other box as the default route on the
opposing box, as you've described.  You may want to instead specify static
routes, rather than default routes.. .but it's not a huge deal.

Ben

--

Without rice, even the cleverest housewife cannot cook.