Hey all,

        Just wondering if any of you have had issues/problems/war stories
setting up a linux box to work w/ comcast. my roommate hung around this morning
to be there when they hooked it up, and when he called up they flat out
refused to support linux and told him, 'if you cant run our windows program
than you cant use our network'. from what i gather this program doesnt actually
change anything, just displays the MAC address for the NIC you are using.

talking with some other people around here it seems that really all you have
to do is 'register' [input your MAC address] on some webpage they have setup.
reading some docs i googled for i hear a few different explanations /
'solutions'. one is that a user MUST logon to their 'workgroup' and thus setup
samba and the like... i dont believe this one =). another group said i need to
ensure my hostname is set to what they want. i saw one guy posting that he set
all his connection up manually, w/o DHCP at all, and that works fine.

it seems to me that if i give dhcpcd the 'D' and 'H' options [set domainname
and set hostname, respectively, to what is given by the dhcp server] then i
should be good. can anyone confirm this? what hoops might you have had to jump
around to hook a linux box into the network?

Thanks,

-tom