On Mon, 23 Jun 2003, Chris Brenton wrote:
> If you are wondering just how evil these kits can be, some further reading:
> http://www.sans.org/resources/idfaq/knark.php
>
> Note that knark can render MD5 and other checks useless while its loaded
> in the kernel.

There's far worse than that in the wild.  At the last company I worked
for, I was the security guy.  Someone asked me to come over and look at
one of their boxes - it was acting a little strange.  Long story short, we
found that the attacker (you're right kevin!  apologies) had tacked up a
gre tunnel using ipv6 addresses between his box and this person's.  He was
essentially outsourcing content on his website to a massive network of
compromised machines.  Very intricate... and interesting.

Ben

--

Judge not the horse by his saddle.