On Monday, June 30, 2003, at 04:16 PM, Greg Rundlett wrote:

I think so.

Nice. I don't think it's all that bad to use an array of information vs a proper object (it's not that different from using structs in C), but if you're moving the language in that direction then why not take advantage of what it has to offer.

It'll be especially interesting to see what the performance will be like. I never read anything concrete, but I had heard others' accounts of the fact that taking a pure-OO approach to PHP scripting in 4.x resulted in overall poor performance, though making moderate use of objects where appropriate was fine. This is one of those cases where an application server (like Weblogic or JBoss, or non-J2EE appservers like Zope) can really outshine standard webservers -- you have objects already instantiated and ready to do work before the request even comes down the pipe, whereas in a PHP script the objects are all instantiated and then garbage collected within the lifespan of the request.

Given the popularity of PHP, I'm surprised I haven't heard of any PHP-language-based appservers -- are you (or anyone else) familiar with something like this? As opposed to using mod_php in Apache?

I know a lot of the people on the PEAR-DEV list are fond of Java, and I
had to remember the other day that PHP __is__ an Apache Software
Foundation project (which has a lot of Java projects), which is to say
that I think PHP is getting more and more like Java.

I think that Java's popularity with users (programmers) is infecting the PHP community, but I am skeptical there is a direct connection between the Java Apache projects and the PHP apache project. In fact, I am subscribed to many of the major Jakarta Project mailing lists and, at least on the struts mailing list, PHP isn't regarded very highly. Which I find interesting, because J2EE (even simple servlet/JSP stuff) is way overkill for the majority of dynamic web page development.

Erik