Hi,
I am trying to understand how one uses raw disk i/o in Linux. I
understand that the i/o skips the kernel buffer. What I don't understand
is how a program uses it. Does one simply open the raw device and
write/read data from it? Does the device need to be formatted? Does it
have a file system? Is there a directory? Or it it just simply a stream
of bytes that a program seeks around in and writes data to? Some code
examples would be great. I've been googling quite a bit but haven't
found anything definitive. However I didn't try the news groups yet.....

--
Jeff Macdonald <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
My birding blog: http://www.virtualbuilder.com/archives/cat_birding.html