What you're asking for is kindof weird

Yes, I guess it is. Let me explain:

A POP3 server I use doesn't send a response on occasion. This causes Mozilla to stop checking that POP3 account because the connection is still up. And the connection just stays up, with no traffic, as far as I can tell. I'd like to force that connection to drop so that Mozilla will start checking that account again. And I like to do this without having to stop and restart Mozilla.

but one way of accomplishing
what you're asking for is to use something like ipchains

I guess this won't be useful since there does not appear to be any traffic on that connection.

This might be useful:

   tcpdump 'host my-computer tcp port my-local-port'

If there are any keepalives being sent, tcpdump WILL see them.

That is what I am doing, so I guess Mozilla must not use keepalives.

Although I need to tell you up front that:

   1:  by default, TCP doesn't use ANY keepalives.  The application
       that uses a TCP session needs to enable these manually.

   2:  If TCP keepalives are enabled, typically these keepalives are
       sent out every few hours or so.  So, if you're waiting to see
       an elusive TCP keepalive, you might be waiting for a while.

       Applications that need some sort of keepalive feature
       (especially if these are short) have to implement these things
       themselves and not depend on TCP's keepalive feature.

Thanks for the explaination of keepalives. I'll leave tcpdump running overnight just to confirm there are no keepalives. I guess Mozilla needs a timeout when waiting for POP3 responses.

Larry