On Tue, 2004-06-22 at 12:18, Mansur, Warren wrote:

> - Open a terminal
> - Go to the directory that contains your original mounted hard drive
> - executed 'chroot' so that now your hard drive looks like '/' instead

Ah, yes... chroot. I knew I was forgetting something. Thanks, Warren! It
has been so long since I hosed up Lilo....

But, as a side note to anyone that may encounter this, it does not work
from Knoppix. I chrooted /mnt/hda4 (my root drive), and made sure
everything is as it should be. It was. I tried to run lilo, and I got
errors about "open /dev/hda: permission denied". I made sure I was root,
I made sure everything had correct permissions. I was, and everything
did. I tried a few other things, and I got permission denied errors on
/dev/null, too. Apparently, no matter what you do, Knoppix just won't
let you work with files in /dev. I even changed the permissions to a+rwx
on a few things (that it let me do), and I still couldn't run lilo or
write to /dev/null. So, I used a Debian install/rescue disk, did
everything exactly the same, and it worked fine. Things that make you go

Thanks,
Kenny