On Wed, 2004-10-13 at 23:06 -0400, Fred wrote:
> When all else fails, try swapping out the network card for a known good
> one.

This is my next step. I just haven't had time. Since the system in
question is my worstation at work, I can't keep rebooting it, so I'm
working on it at a slow pace.

The card that I have is an Intel e1000 in a fairly new Dell which has
worked perfectly under 2.6.7. And it seems to work fine under 2.6.8.1
when X isn't running. So, I'm leaning toward something being wrong in  X
that the new kernel doesn't like. I might just wait until 2.6.9 :-)

C-Ya,
Kenny