Jeff Macdonald wrote:
Anybody agree with the following statement?

The HELO domain represents the mail provider used by the author of the
message and thus is more closely related to the author than any other
header within the message.

This is from the CSV doc to the FTC. Is is just mean, or does this
seem to ignore multiple hops?

I disagree with that statement completely, because the HELO can be and often is any-old string the spammer, errr, the author of the message feels like putting in there. You'd be surprised at the number of connections that my mail servers reject from other servers that send either my server's IP number or host name as their name in the HELO.