Jeff Macdonald wrote:

However, that's under Linux. When booting however, Grub sees something
else. hd3 becomes hd1! hd1 becomes hd2! Changing grub.conf to point to
the correct devices doesn't help. I'm only able to boot using a floppy
and specifying root, kernel and initrd command by hand. Has anyone
else seen this? This is not a PCI bus ordering thing where ide=reverse
would fix things.

Grub can be told to map drives to different locations, essentially fooling the OS into seeing the drives as having a different "letter" in the BIOS. It could be that you have some of that going on in a menu.lst or grub.conf file. I'll wager that it may have been added automagically by the install software of either Fedora or Gentoo.

When I configured a workstation to dual boot with MS Windows 2000 on a second hard disk, I had to use grub's map command to fool Windows into believing it was on the first BIOS drive, or Windows would not boot.

Look in the grub config files, usually under /boot/grub subdirectory, for lines like the following:

map (hd1) (hd0)

Where hd1 and hd0 could be other grub drive specifications.

Another possibility could be the Adaptec controllers playing with the BIOS' view of the drives and their ordering. I've not ever used an Adaptec IDE controller, but I did have to reconfigure an AHA-2940 controller in order to get it to work properly with grub on the system described above.

Cheers,
Jason