I want to reject all incoming mail that is coming from a nonexistant account. For example, I have no user called fido. I want to reject (from in sendmail) any mail that says

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED],net

Any way to do that?

Steven,

Ok, I am by no means a sendmail expert.  In fact, I haven't played with it in a long time.  But, I did some googling and found the following excerpt:

Sendmail Validation

The check_compat ruleset compares all senders and receiver pairs before mail is delivered. It validates the mail based on the results of the comparison. It checks to see if host A can legally send a message to host B. check_compat is called for all mail deliveries, not just SMTP transactions.

It is used in the following situations:

  • A set of users who are restricted from sending mail messages to external domains need to send mail messages to internal; domains. Both the sender and recipient addresses are checked to ensure that they are in the local domain.

  • A particular user needs to ensure that he or she does not receive mail messages from a specific source.

  • A particular host needs to ensure that external senders do not use that host as a a mail relay. The mail messages are screened based on the sender's hostname.

The link to the page is:  http://docs.hp.com/en/B2355-90685/ch04s09.html

The first bullet point, which checks the validity of user accounts against the local domain sounds like what you are looking for.

Regards,

Jeff

<<inline: s.gif>>