I was asked to look into a client's problem where they have a mixed
environment of fairly new Macs and Windows XP boxes. Apparently a network
peer to peer sharing setup was done and one particular iMac was happily
sharing it's files and accessing Windows XP shares for several days. Then
the Mac got rebooted and after that although the XP box could read shares
from the Mac, the Mac can't seem to see the XP box. I was able to determine
that the Mac could see other Macs in the office and could ping the XP box
but clicking on the Network folder wouldn't show any reachable XP boxes. I
could see a few machines (including one PC) in the "Local" folder but none
of the machines in the Workgroup folder could be accessed. The Apple support
page mentions problems accessing PCs using Microsoft SMB shares after 10.2
and suggests mounting them by using the Finder to access the PCs using the
string smb:\\server\sharename. Anyone run across this problem?

When I got back to my office I fired up my SuSe 9.0 system and it seems to
work fine. I know that the Mac uses Samba 3.x but I was a bit confused as to
how Samba client works on a Mac. The only daemon I saw running was smbd.

-Alex