On 9/15/05, Lawrence Tilly <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
Good afternoon, all.

Today I had my service swapped over from cable to DSL.  When I hit Speakeasy's speed test after the new service was setup however I got a bit of a shock.  My download speed was clocking in at only 800kbps ( upload is about 650 ).  I was a bit concerned and so I reconnected my cable modem and tried again...and got very similar results ( 780 down and 500 up ).

I disconnected my Linksys Firewall Router ( BESFX41 ) and went directly against the modems.  This looked much better.  My upload didn't change in either case but my download for both went up over 3k.  I have a standard Linksys Router ( BEFSR41 ) here also which I hooked up. This had almost no impact on the speeds, so it's definetly something with the FIrewall Router.

I went thru the admin menu of the troublesome equipment and I can't find anything that might put this thing into half duplex mode or otherwise cripple it's performance.  I have no logging enabled on the router and no special filters running.  I double-checked Linksys site and am running the most current firmware ( dated 2004 ) and Google has not turned up any leads. I have been using this unit for the last 2+ years and to be honest with you it has been a LONG time since I've done a speed test, probably when I first got everything networked up, so I couldn't say when it may have done this to me.  I know I could just put in the non-firewall in place for now but I really don't want to give up the firewall.

Any ideas / suggestions / experience?

-L

When my linksys was finally dying, after 3+ years of constant service, it was doing much the same...  speed seemed to wind-down, and when I hooked the ports up directly to system (including the wan port) they were indeed all linking at half-duplex, save, I think, port 1.  I ended up retiring it.  I went the geeky route with a small multi-homed debian box and a WAP to keep the wireless, but my speed with comcast jumped up again, then higher when I moved to Speakeasy...

just my experience

~ *