Jim Kuzdrall wrote:
However, I hear CD-ROM is unreliable even over 12 months, so that's
out.

I have heard this too. Does anyone know the physical mechanism responsible for the deterioration? I seem to associate the tale with a study at a library, and the CDROMs being scratched by handling. If that is the mechanism, it is irrelevant for SOHO.

Exposure to light and excessive heat can deteriorate the dye layer on CD-R and CD-RW media.

I've been using CD-RW and CD-R media for backups of my data for the past five years and have had no real issues. I have had some cheap CD-R discs that either don't burn (cdrecord reports media errors) or that have had read errors after sitting about for 2 to 3 years.

I have not had any problems with CD-RW media of any sort, but I also don't buy cheap CD-RWs. I've actually rewritten the same disc consistently for 4 years. This disc actually outlived my first burner!

I find that there is a huge difference in longevity between different manufacturers and at different price points. The cheap stacks of no-name CD-Rs that you get for 10 cents a piece don't last nearly as long, nor are generally as reliable as the discs that cost close to $1.00 each. I also tend to only buy Fuji Film or Taiyo Yuden discs for my serious tasks. Though I have to admit I've had some pretty good luck with a cheap stack of Ritek-made discs with the AT&T brand on them.

I have used these backups, so they have had real world testing. I've used them to copy my important data onto a new hard drive when I last upgraded my system, and when switching from GNU/Linux to FreeBSD.

I generally backup everything overwriting what's on my disc each time. I often make two copies, just in case, though I keep them both generally near the computer, so if there's a fire, I've lost everything.--I mainly do them in the more likely event of hardware failure.

If you're just backing up a few hundred megs of data then CD-RW/CD-R media is fine. A couple gigs and I'd look into backing up on DVD+-R/W.