Hi Jerry,

Thanks for your suggestions.

Below is what I did.

1 regular boot up from Knopixx
2 bring up konsole
3 su -
4 swapoff /dev/hda6
5 qtparted&

For step 5, I got a line saying "qtparted: cannot connect to X server"

So I started qtparted via "K menu" -> "systems", and tried to resize hda4 (which is extended partition, and still the only partition the "resize" is not gray-out). Hda4 has size of 46.04 gb, consisting of hda5 thru hda7, used space for these 3 partitions is less than 1 gb.

So I right-clicked on hda4, and selected "resize", and set "Free after space" at 40 gb, and committed change from "File" menu. The pop-up windows says that the operation is successful. BUT, hda4 is still 46.04 gb, and nothing changed! So I tried to commit changes from "Device" menu, the operation is also successful, but it didn't make any difference: hda4 was NOT resized.

Gee, I'm sooooooo frustrated. //crying..........