On Tue, May 30, 2006 at 12:41:34PM -0400, Randy Edwards wrote:
>    In reading the posted FAQ I was amazed at this line:
>
>  > In one Cambodian village where we have been working, there is no
>  > electricity, thus the laptop is, among other things, the brightest light
>  > source in the home.

So - not only can you give more books to the kids by putting them on the
laptop, you provide the light to read it by and - the "books" cannot be
by heat, moisture, bugs, mold, fungus, small children or dogs.  :-)

>    Question: Does Cambodia really need to be spending its money on cheap but
> durable laptops imported from Taiwan?

Its a heck of lot cheaper to make copies of bits than it is to make
copies of paper.

>    Or would the country's money be better spent buying the cheapest books
> possible (which could be produced in-country) and the difference invested in
> an electrical infrastructure?

Since the difference would be zero dollars (it would actually cost MORE
to provide the same texts in hardcopy) it would not help with building
electrical infrastructure at all.

>  Regards,
>  .
>  Randy
>
> --
> Fast fact: If the U.S. had an infant mortality rate as good as Cuba's, we
> would save an additional 2,212 American babies a year. Cuba is one of 41
> countries that have better infant mortality rates than the U.S.

Speech Recognition Technology was used to create this e-mail