>>>Windoze users would be expected to manage loading firmware themselves
I got R&D of LaCie to come over with an osciloscope a few months back to check on site why a BigDisk had decided to become the C: *even* if in the HP ML 330 G4 the boot order said otherwise.

They re rewrote the firmware as a result of this.

They have an updater on their site and support told me this morning that they are releasing a new firmware update soon (problem with Apple Macintosh).

I have two exe for Windoze that also probes LaCie USB devices and give info on the firmware among other things.

Having said that, my customer gives me a lot of hassle for "ghost" USB LaCie disks. They appear and dissapear from time to time under Windoze... We replaced 4 in a month on a total of 320. LaCie prefers flashing the firmware anyway. Corporates demand the code, but to no avail.

Jimmy
nui.fr

On 7/10/06, Ben Scott < [EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
On 7/10/06, Jon maddog Hall < [EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> According to the TI documentation, the bridge chip first becomes active and
> contacts the host USB controller for some firmware. My USB controller could
> probably not handle this at the time, since it did not have the ehci_hcd driver
> autoloading.

  Hmmm.  The thing is, that firmware would be specific to the TI
bridge chip.  I doubt there's device-specific firmware in the Linux
EHCI driver.  I also doubt Windoze users would be expected to manage

  My guess as to what happened: Something caused the peripheral to
flake out during startup, so the bridge reverted to programming mode
in case someone with the needed tools wanted to debug it.  In the
process of your fiddling with it, you caused a reset, and it didn't
flake out that time.

> ... I thought plugging in the power to the drive last would be the safest thing to do...

  Perhaps the fact that it saw a USB connection at power on caused the
bridge chip to go into programming mode for some reason.  Of course,
that still wouldn't explain *why*.

-- Ben