Ben Scott wrote:
 Okay, the next thing to do (after Thomas Charron's .gnomerc idea) is
poke around under /etc/X11/ for anything that looks like a shell
script or initialization file.  Generally speaking, everything starts
in there, somewhere.  In particular, if the system is using gdm, the
/etc/X11/gdm/gdm.conf file may prove instructive.

Here's what I'd do... I'd switch to XDM and then you pretty much know that .xsession is going to be executed. The other option is to switch to using startx from the console and then the file is .xinitrc.

If you still want to use Gnome or KDE, I believe that they both have a little program for startup, like kde-start or gnome-start. Either of these should do all you need to start up the environment. (When I was hacking KDE stuff back in the day, I'd actually start KDE from a rxvt while running the black box window manager.)

At the bottom of your .xsession you exec whichever one you want.

Cheers,
Jason