Hi Kevin,

${extended_family_member} isn't a hard-core computer person.

Does ${extended_family_member} run Linux?

Attached are my scripts I use to monitor some small websites. I wrote these because I wanted to monitor a complete website, not just a few existing pages. They are extremely primitive.

Disadvantages:

1) Copies the website so you don't want to use this on anything large.

2) The output for differences is from diff, so a bit confusing for non-geeks.

Larry

#!/usr/local/bin/perl

#
# This script will strip all HTML tags from the input.
# It also removes any extra white space.  The result
# is a fairly readable text file suitable for diff'ing.
#

# Read stdin into a single string
while ($line = <>) {
    $_ .= $line;
}

s,\s+, ,g;      # Remove extra white space
s,\s*<,\n<,g;   # Remove white space and insert newline before HTML tag
s,>\s*,>\n,g;   # Remove white space and insert newline after HTML tag
s,;\s*,;\n,g;   # Remove white space and insert newline after semicolons

s,<[^>]*>\s*,,g; # Now get ride of HTML tags

# Write it to stdout
print;