On Tue, Jan 02, 2007 at 03:39:36PM -0500, Steven W. Orr wrote:
> Brian sent me what the sync rates are supposed to be, but I'm not sure
> what I'm doing. The manual calls for 1440x900 in either DVI mode or not
> (whatever that is). The connector from my puter is the plain old video
> connector with three rows of pins going in, not the mac connector. (Is
> that the difference between DVI mode and not DVI mode?) Either way, I

DVI allows you to send a digital signal directly to the panel,
without converting digital to analog and then back to digital.

If you are using a standard d-sub 15 VGA connector (3 rows of 5
pins), you are operating the panel in analog mode.  Nothing wrong
with that, but you are almost certainly introducing some noise in
the analog stage, so the display isn't going to be as crisp as it
could be.

A DVI connector is bigger and more square than a VGA connector and
has more pins.  The various connectors look like:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:DVI_Connector_Types.svg

If you have video hardware capable of DVI, and the monitor accepts
DVI input, you will almost certainly get a better image on the
display using DVI.

Either way, your X configuration doesn't change, unless your video
hardware has multiple connectors and you need to add configuration
to select which one(s) to output on.

Clear as mud, no?

--
[EMAIL PROTECTED]          OpenPGP KeyID 0x57C3430B
Holder of Past Knowledge           CS, O-