Here's the text

----
Or, consider something else entirely. If you really want a new operating system, there are plenty of options out there for experimentation. And they’re free.

Yeah, I’m talkin’ ‘bout Linux. I know what you’re thinking: no applications, spotty hardware support and lots of command-line typing. I can’t honestly tell you that Linux is free of these disadvantages, but it’s easier than ever to try out Linux without a lot of pain.

Various Linux distributions have long been available for free download. All you needed was patience and a CD burner and a willingness to futz with your hard drive’s partitions. That was too much commitment and risk for some people.

Now, many distributions let you download what’s called a Live CD. There’s nothing to install — once you download the operating system and burn it to CD, it runs right from that. In some cases, you can even download to a USB flash drive. Best of all, a few distributions have been made a lot smaller for a quick download.

Take SLAX. Based on the hardcore Linux geek’s favorite distro, Slackware, SLAX comes in a few compact sizes. Frodo Edition is 53MB, but it’s just a text console. Popcorn Edition is twice the size at 115MB, but includes a graphical user interface, the Firefox browser and AbiWord document editor.

Damn Small Linux packs a graphical desktop, a music player, three browsers, spreadsheet and word processing programs and a bunch more into just 50MB. Like SLAX, it can run from a mini CD or a USB drive.

There are literally too many other options to list here, but try looking at www.livecdlist.com. Or just buy a Mac.

---

I think he's a bit off the mark. Ubuntu, Fedora, Etc. are all VERY easy to install (easier than Windows at this point). Also, I don't know any "desktop" linux that -requires- you to mess around with partitions during the install.

He also fails to bring up really quality desktop linux distros like I mentioned, focusing more on LiveCDs (and not very popular or widespread ones in my opinion).

Talking about a "Frodo edition" that's only 53MB but is only a console is going to have people worried about trying Linux running for the hills.