In reply to Ben's message about ripping to FLAC and then converting to other formats, I believe that is what I am going to do. I'll rip to FLAC and store the results on one of my PCs or possibly even burn them to DVD+R DL discs. Then, I'll convert the FLACs to Ogg when needed for greater file transportability.

I'm already planing a nice utility for managing all of that, too.

I'll see how using one of my PCs as a file server works for playing music on my LAN. It worked pretty well with MP3s, but FLACs are a bit bigger.

I like the hardware support that FLAC seems to have. I'm going to have to get a Phatbox for my car! ;)