On 6/11/07, Lloyd Kvam <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

My daughter is heading back to school and will need to write Math
papers.  She is now running Fedora 6.  (The conversion from Windows to
Fedora happened after graduation.)  She asked me what software she
should use for writing her Math papers, and being an old ascii text guy,
I did not know what to tell her.

Looking through the available packages I saw
        TeXmacs
        openoffice.org-math
among others.

Then I realized someone on this list would have useful advice.

Thanks.

--
Lloyd Kvam
Venix Corp

What grade will she be in?  Straight LaTeX might not be too hard to learn.
There is an IDE <http://kile.sourceforge.net/> for it for Linux which might
make learning the commands a bit easier.  The PDF output rendering has
improved dramatically in the last handful of years.  But there's also LyX
which is basically a WSYWIG front end to LaTeX.

I've never liked the results I get in the word processor software packages,
but I've never used OpenOffice.  If she's inclined to like markup languages,
LaTeX is the way to go.

-Mike-

--
"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,
but too early to shoot the bastards."