What is the most efficient way to destroy the data on a hard drive
before junking it?  Normal file erasure leaves the data intact.  Secure
erasure or reformatting takes too much time, and the drive may not be
working well enough to complete the operation.

   Another quick method suggested is a sledge hammer, but that seems
"hit-or-miss" (sorry).  Without opening the case one cannot confirm
whether all of the platters have been sufficiently damaged.

   Opening the drive and sanding, scratching, or bending the platters
seems tedious.  Automated assembly uses non-reversible techniques such
as press-fits, epoxy, rivets, etc. which may make it difficult to get
at the surfaces.

    Has anybody suggested a chemical solvent wash?  (Wash fluid disposal
might possibly be a problem.)

    Do the rather exotic magnetic coatings have a low enough Curie
temperature to destroy the magnetization in an oven?  Our kitchen oven
goes to 270C (520F) or so, but magnetite requires 560C.  Cobalt
compounds are higher.  Using a Bernz-O-Matic torch would simplify
disassembly - just remove the cover.

    Not that I have anything to hide, you understand.  Just curious.

Jim Kuzdrall