On 9/17/07, Don Leslie <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> If I try to ping the Roadrunner name server I get
>
> from 192.16.1.1 Destination Unreachable

  I assume you mean 192.168.1.1 in the above (168, not 16), and that
192.168.1.1 is the IP address of your router.

  If my assumptions are correct: What your router is saying is that it
has no route to the address you were pinging.  That occurs below the
level of DNS (at the IP layer), so the DNS issue is likely more of a
symptom than a cause.

  Most likely, your router isn't getting any DHCP information from the
ISP, so it does not have an IP address on the public Internet (which
is why it has no route to the Internet).

  See if you can log-in to the web management UI on the LinkSys
router.  Typically this will mean entering http://192.168.1.1 on the
router.  The default password will be in the manual, but I think it's
either "linksys", "admin", or "password".  The username doesn't matter
on most LinkSys models.

  Once you're in the web UI, go to the "Status" information screen,
and check the Internet/WAN status.

> I rebooted the router which made no difference.

  I take it you have cable Internet?  Have you tried the standard
generic cable Internet reset procedure?  That is:

1. Note the present indicator lights on the cable modem and LinkSys router.
2. Shutdown your LAN DHCP clients.
3. Unplug power from cable modem and LinkSys router.
4. Wait 15 minutes.  (Yes, that long.  Really.)
5. Plug cable modem power back in.
6. Wait for the cable modem to re-acquire service.  This will
typically be indicated by indicator lights on the modem.  See step 1.
:)
7. Plug LinkSys router power back in.
8. Wait for the LinkSys to boot.  Again, look at the lights.
9. Power one of your LAN DHCP clients back on.  See if it works.

  The above fixes a lot of problems.

> I could look into new firmware but it has been running fine for months.

  Right, but it's not running fine now.  Obviously *something* happened.  :)

  Re-flashing is the firmware equivalent to unplugging everything and
plugging it all back in again.  It sometimes fixes things, but we
never really know why.  Possible correlations include the ISP changing
something which broke your old firmware, and the existing firmware
somehow getting corrupted.

  Still, at this point, it sounds more like a provider service problem
to me.  I'd save re-flashing for later, as more of a last resort.

-- Ben