On Tue, 2007-10-09 at 08:23 -0400, Lloyd Kvam wrote:

> Could you be rejecting unknown (number-to-name lookup fails) IP addresses?
> I've been rejecting those as a relatively easy, effective spam control (
> reject_unknown_hostname, reject_unknown_client )

I don't think so.  I just added the hostname to the server /etc/hosts
file and it made no difference.  And the failure is a hang instead of a
useful error message, which I would expect from an active rejection.  I
did run saslauthd with "-d" and found it produced no ouput when I tried
sending mail.  So it seems to me that Postfix smtpd is never
successfully contacting saslauthd.  I did try turning on TLS logging,
but that doesn't seem to help.  I don't *think* the problem is in TLS.

>I'll take a stab in the dark and guess that maybe your main.cf doesn't
>have the value for mynetworks set like this:
>
>mynetworks = 192.168.1.0/24
>
>This specifies that any system in this subnet is allowed to connect the
>postfix server.

I did not have this before.  I do not believe this feature is useful in
my setup where I want to be able to relay mail remotely (i.e.: Not on
the local net).  I depend on sasl authorization alone for relay access.

-dl