On Tue, 2007-10-30 at 10:55 -0400, Drew Van Zandt wrote:
> The symptom is that it can;t write the CD.  It runs all the prep, then
> the burn itself fails.
> scsidev: '1,0,0'
> scsibus: 1 target: 0 lun: 0
> Linux sg driver version: 3.5.34
> Wodim version: 1.1.2
> SCSI buffer size: 64512
> wodim: Cannot do inquiry for CD/DVD-Recorder.
> TOC Type: 0 = CD-DA
> atapi: 1
> Errno: 5 (Input/output error), test unit ready scsi sendcmd: fatal
> error
> CDB:  00 00 00 00 00 00
> cmd finished after 0.000s timeout 200s

This is fairly similar to what happened to me when I upgraded to
Fedora7.

http://www.mail-archive.com/gnhlug-discuss@mail.gnhlug.org/msg20130.html

My guess is that wodim has trouble with some controllers when the burner
and disk drive share the same IDE controller.  I have not yet tested
with cdrtools as a wodim replacement.  Fedora7 switched from cdrtools to
wodim.  (Note that you will still have a cdrecord command, but it is a
link to wodim.)

> On 10/30/07, Ben Scott <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>         On 10/30/07, Drew Van Zandt <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>         > I used to be able to burn CD's on this laptop, now I can't.
>
>           So, um, like... what happens when you try to burn a CD?  :)
>
>           What's your command line (or GUI clickstream)?  Do you get
>         an error
>         message?  A program crash?  Does it go through the motions but
>         not
>         actually run the burner?  Does it write *something*, but not a
>         readable CD?  If so, what's the diagnostic when you try to
>         read the
>         CD?  Come on, throw us a bone here.  ;-)
>
>         http://support.microsoft.com/kb/555375
>
>         http://catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html
>
>         > Transport name:         sg
>         > Open via UNIX device:   not supported   *** DING DING DING
>         looks
>         > suspiciously like my issue. ***
>
>           I dunno.  There's all this semi-political crap involved with
>         how
>         Linux and/or cdrecord handles opening devices for "generic
>         SCSI"
>         access, so that might be a red herring.
>
>           Longer version:
>
>           Linux used to use a different device node for "generic
>         SCSI" (the
>         /dev/sg* nodes), with no nice way to map to the "normal"
>         device nodes
>         (/dev/s[srt]* and such).  At some point, it was decided that
>         some king
>         of ioctl() on the "normal" device nodes would be a better way,
>         and the
>         /dev/sg* nodes would be deprecated.
>
>           On top of all that, there is long-standing friction between
>         Jörg
>         Schilling (the principle cdrecord author) and the Linux kernel
>         people.
>         It started out as disagreement on design of the the Linux
>         SCSI
>         subsystem (and generic SCSI in particular), and has since
>         escalated.
>         They've been disagreeing for so long they've forgotten why and
>         now
>         just hate everything the other side comes up with.
>
>           So messages about this-or-that not being supported, or
>         openable in
>         some fashion, may just be a political rant disguised as a
>         diagnostic
>         message.
>
>         -- Ben

Lloyd Kvam