On Wed, 2008-07-09 at 17:16 -0400, Coleman Kane wrote:
> On Wed, 2008-07-09 at 16:58 -0400, Labitt, Bruce wrote:
> > Umm, thanks for your frank assessment.
> >
> > So which is the lesser of evils - using the AMD/ATI proprietary drivers
> > for 3D, or totally rebuilding my system from the ground up?  I presume
> > that I will still have to mess around to get things going.  I've fooled
> > around with this a few days now, I don't like wasting my time - I have
> > plenty to do.
>
> Have you tried their proprietary drivers on your current system yet? Do
> they work on such an old server?

Uhm, pretty sure nVidia and ATI tend to write their binary drivers with
support for the latest Red Hat Enterprise Linux release in mind *before*
they worry about it working with the latest upstream kernel. Remember,
the ATI proprietary driver is called 'fglrx', as in "FireGL X driver",
and FireGL is their high-end workstation line.

--
Jarod Wilson